Sunday, September 5, 2010

A duck, Pt 1. Confit and rillettes

A duckling:


Twenty-eight dollars that cost - I shan't be filing this post under "thriftiness". I am making the most of the duck though.

I broke it down into its component parts, and put the carcass, …


… fat, …


… and wings, …


… into my steamed pudding bowl, …


… and put it all in a pot of boiling water for several hours.

Meanwhile, the legs and the meaty rump parts …


… were being salted, with a bit of garlic as well …


… in preparation for being turned into confit.

I strained the steamed duck parts …


… retrieving just under a cup of duck "juice" (no water was added, so it's not really stock), and just over half a cup of rendered duck fat:


The juice jelled solid when it cooled and will go into the freezer.

I picked all the little bits of meat off the bones …


… and pounded them with some of the fat and some thyme from the garden:


The mixture went into a couple of little ramekins, and I poured a little more fat over to seal it:


I didn't have enough fat for the confit, so I opened one of the tins of duck fat my sister-in-law gave me a wee while ago …


… and used some of it to extend what was left of the fat rendered from the duck, so I had enough to cover the legs and rumps:


I also added a bit of thyme from the garden. After about 6 hours in a 90°C oven I had this:


Which I let cool, then put in the fridge. I have to let it "mature" for a week or so before I can excavate the duck from the fat and do something delicious with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment