Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dunedin Farmers' Market

On my way home from the airport last weekend I thought I'd stop in at the Farmers' Market for a change. I live a good 20 minutes from town and can't really justify the petrol use (or, to be honest, drag myself out of bed) to go in on a Saturday morning unless I have a specific purchase I need to make.

Our Farmers' Market is held at the railway station, we no longer have any passenger services apart from tourist excursion trains. I parked on the other side of the tracks and walked over the overbridge, then down the platform …


… past the old booking office, which is very beautiful …


… to the far end of the station. Here are a few photos:





Even one of the local boutique breweries has a stall:


And this African band was entertaining the shoppers:


This is what the Railway Station looks like from the other side:



A few years ago the city council decided to install formal gardens in front of it, I love watching them change with the seasons.

This knot garden stays the same, of course:


But the flower beds are constantly changing:



At the moment this one is mostly parsley, of all things.


I bought some pork tongues and smoked ham hocks from the guy from Havoc Pork, and arranged with him to order a leg for this year's prosciutto.

I turned the pork hocks into this terrine:


It's the same as this one, but I went a bit easier on the butter and mustard, and lined the pan with some of my prosciutto.

And with the tongues I made this pressed tongue thingy:


It was only $3 for four tongues, which is pretty good value.

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS BROWYN i AM DROOLING RIGHT INTO THE COMPUTER THAT MEAT TURINE LOOKS DELICIOUS. THE TRAIN STATION IS BEAUTIFUL, IT LOOKS LIKE A PICTURE POST CARD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the subject of many a picture postcard. It is lovely isn't it? It's one of our heritage buildings.

    ReplyDelete