Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ham and mustard terrine

I've been wanting to try this ever since I saw it on Masterchef Australia. They used it as part of a modern twist on Eggs Benedict. I can't find the recipe on the original site, but it was on this Junior Masterchef one - it is pretty easy.

Except that we can't get ham hocks in summer, so I had to make my own. Once that was done though, the rest was a piece of cake.

Ham hocks into a pot of water …


… with a couple of lumps of my frozen sweated carrot, onion, leek, and celery mix …


… and a big sprig of thyme:


Then simmer …


… until the meat falls off the bones. Drain the hocks …


… and strain the stock (biff the veges and save the stock for something else). Remove the meat from the fat and bones.


Mix large amounts of mustard and butter …


… I didn't have any seeded mustard, but this Dijon was fine …


… and mix into the meat with some roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley …


… until it's well combined:


Line a loaf tin with plastic wrap …


Then press in the meat mixture. Cover with more plastic …


… and something stiff that fits neatly into the tin. Top with something heavy …


… and refrigerate until set.


I had a couple of slices with poached egg and griddle scone:


Yes, I have a peculiar way of eating poached eggs - I always eat the white first, then burst the yolk over my bread or equivalent.

Most of it I sliced and took to my friend Stephen's as my contribution to lunch:

No comments:

Post a Comment