Sunday, December 5, 2010

Spätzle

The other day I finally got a round to making spätzle. My friend Matthias made them for me when he was living in New Zealand, and when I was in Germany in 2005 I hunted and hunted for a spätzlepresse but couldn't find one. I finally got one in Edinburgh - it was sold mainly as a potato ricer, but it has a couple of extra plates and one of them is for spätzle.

Flour and salt …


… milk (should have been water) and egg …


… mixed to a batter and left to rest:


Onions fried …


… until soft and caramelised:


Out with the potato ricer …


… and in with the spätzle screen:


It takes two hands to press the batter through the holes into boiling water, so no hands left for photographs, but this is what they look like when they're cooked:


They rise to the top of the water and you scoop them out into a colander to drain.

Then, a layer of onions in an oven dish …


… a layer of spätzle …


… some cheese, and more onions …


… and so on until everything is used up …


… then into the oven to bake until all brown on top:


I should have left it for longer but I was hungry.

1 comment: