Sunday, December 5, 2010

Lasagne from scraps

I'm slowly getting rid of stuff from the freezer, but going to Burt Munro was a good excuse to make another big lasagne from freezer stuff.

I had a couple of half packets of what had been fresh lasagne about 5 years ago, one white, one green:


Stuff doesn't actually go off in the freezer, but it can pick up funny flavours and get dried out. These were pretty well sealed in plastic, so the off flavours weren't a problem, but they had got pretty dry in places so I cooked them before using them …


… usually I just let fresh lasagne cook in the oven in the sauces.


I also had some ragu Bolognese, a little of which I'd removed to eat on something - can't remember what. I added a bit of water to it to make it sloppier - you need a sloppyish ragu to spread, and also so there is something to evaporate in the oven


I made the cheese sauce the lazy way - in the microwave. Butter, flour, and pepper melted together …


… then cooked until fluffy, …


… milk added, stirred and zapped again until thick …


… then cheese stirred in and zapped until melted:


Then I layered everything. Because I had quite a lot of pasta I put some between each layer of sauce - usually I go pasta, meat sauce, cheese sauce etc.


This time I went meat, green pasta, cheese sauce …


… white pasta, meat sauce …


… etc …


… etc …


… etc …


… ending up with cheese sauce and more grated cheese:


I cooked it until it was lovely and bubbly and well browned on top …


… then cut it into portions when it was cold. We took it to Invercargill for Burt Munro week, and had it heated up for various meals, including a breakfast, a supper, and a dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment