Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hamburger

Another "food for hungry blokes" post.

Matthias and I went up town one Friday night when he was here, revisiting old drinking holes and forgetting to eat until the early hours of the morning when all that was open was a burger bar. It's a pretty flash sort of burger bar though, and my burger was so delicious I had to have another later on in the week at home. It had been years since the last time I ate one and I'd forgotten how nice a good burger could be.

I started off with 900g or so of prime beef mince that I mixed with an egg, some milk, a little flour, some finely chopped onion, a goodly dose of salt, and some chopped up thyme from the garden. I made this into six nice big meat patties, squashing it between layers of clingfilm. I froze what I didn't use for Matt's and my dinner burgers.


While I was frying the patties, mushrooms, and some bacon, I cut bought burger buns (yes, very lazy, I should have made them) in half and toasted the outsides under the grill (broiler for Americans) in the oven. Then I turned them over and put slices of cheese on the top halves before toasting the insides:


Barker's Green Tomato and Jalapeño chutney went on the inside of the bottom …


… followed by the meat pattie, …


… followed by some bacon, …


…mushrooms, …


… sliced cherry tomatoes, …


… Kewpie mayonnaise, …


… sliced cornichions and peppadews, …


… lettuce, …


… then the top of the burger:


I had one, Matt had two.

These are the purchased sauces and condiments I used:

1 comment: