Saturday, July 23, 2011

Efficient use of the whole chook

Whole chickens were on special.

I removed the ribcage …


… by cutting the skin down the spine …


… and gently cutting flesh away from ribs, and severing hip and shoulder joints …


 … leaving ribcage …


… and the rest of the chook:


I cut off the legs (and wings) …


… leaving the breast and most of the skin:


I peeled the skin away, …


… then rearranged the breasts on the skin in a less biologically accurate, but more even, fashion:


I made stuffing by sweating chopped onion in lots of butter …


… until it was beginning to brown …


… picked some parsley and sage from the garden …


… and chopped it up finely …


… then added the onions, butter, chopped herbs, and salt, to a cup or so of white breadcrumbs from the freezer:


The stuffing went on top of the chicken breasts …


… and I got out Uncle Ted's old upholstery needle (Uncle Ted was the husband of Auntie Helen of the steamed pudding bowl) and threaded it with string:


Bit by bit I sewed up the chicken's skin around its breast and the stuffing …



 … until it was a nice neat parcel …



… which I put in an oven dish, sitting on the ribcage and wings, with the legs to the sides:


I cooked them for about 45 minutes …


… one leg was dinner, and the stuffed breast and other leg went into the fridge to be eaten cold.

The carcase and wings …


 … went into a pot of water with onion and some sliced shiitake mushrooms and were boiled for a couple of hours, making a delicious stock …


…  from which I removed the bones and strained the meat and mushrooms. I added the meat and mushrooms to cooked soba noodles and put stock and noodles in the fridge, ready to be reheated in portions and eaten together: 


The soup and noodles were three lunches worth.

1 comment:

  1. Indigenous use of the whole chicken. You never cease to amaze me with your cooking talent. I bow to you once again.

    ReplyDelete