Saturday, December 3, 2011

Dobos torte

Anyone who reads this blog will know I'm a great fan of Joe Pastry. He is sensible and not in the least bit pretentious, and tries to find the most authentic (but workable) recipes for classic cakes and pastries. I have a list of his cakes that I want to try making at some stage, and whenever I go to a pot-luck, or have visitors, I make one.

His Dobos torte was one such cake I made for a pot luck back in July - I only just realised I hadn't posted the photos from it. I won't repeat the recipe, it's on Joe's blog and I didn't change a thing. It was very successful, so much so that people refused to believe I made it.

Eggs and sugar beaten up:


Flour, ready to go in:


Flour being beaten in:


This did not turn to putty as Joe had said it would, so I was a bit worried, but I shouldn't have been. Lemon:


The egg whites …


… beaten …


… and getting folded in:



Final cake mixture:



I used siliconised baking paper instead of the foil Joe did - mostly because I was out of foil. That big round thing is my 8 inch cutter that came in a set from IKEA.


Cake mix spread on baking paper:


Then sprinkled with icing sugar and trimmed with the cutter:


Another layer:


There were eight in all:


Sugar ready to caramelise:


And the caramel being spread over my most attractive layer …


… which I cut into wedges, thus:


Butter …


… and chocolate …


… to melt for the icing:


Mixed up with egg yolks, vanilla, and icing sugar:


Using three or four bits of baking paper under the edges of a cake as a "drop cloth" is one of Joe's better handy hints:


When you've finished icing it …


You just pull them away, and your plate is clean as clean can be:


How's that cake then? Just like a bought one, if I do say so myself.

I can't say I'm a great fan of the taste though - just a bit too sweet and chocolatey for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment