Sunday, October 17, 2010

Being prepared

I have a lot of "heritage" carrots in my garden. I don't even like carrots very much, but they're good for adding flavour to stews and suchlike. The other day I bought some onions, leeks, and celery, and prepped a big batch of aromats to freeze. It makes things so much easier not having to keep the things around just in case I might want to make a stew, and I don't end up throwing them away.

Carrots - every colour under the sun …


… grated …


… sweated in my monster frypan (about 45cm/18 inches across) over a low heat in oil with five chopped onions …


… leeks …


… chopped and added to the carrots and onions …


… celery …


… likewise …


…then the whole lot stirred and sweated for at least half an hour …


 … until they're all soft and mooshy:


Then I divided them into six aliquots and froze them, all ready to put into stews and casseroles and save me bucketloads of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment