Sunday, October 17, 2010

Marmite spaghetti

Loretta, who is a moderator on Just Bento, mentioned this article by Nigella Lawson, and said she had tried the Marmite spaghetti which is towards the bottom of the article. Sounded odd to me, but I thought I'd try it just to see. It wanted dried spaghetti and I have some in the pantry that needs using up.

Spaghetti into boiling salted water …


 … curled around as it softened …


… then boiled until al dente.

Butter …



… and Marmite (we have a different Marmite, so English Marmite is rebranded "Our Mate" here) …


… into a pot and melted together:



 The cooked spaghetti is tossed in it with a little of the cooking water, then some parmesan cheese …


… is grated on top:


Nigella says all children love it. I'm not a child, so maybe that explains why I didn't. But then I'm not a huge Marmite/Vegemite fan either, so it was probably expecting a bit much to think that putting the stuff on spaghetti would instantly turn it into something delicious.

That's my home-made parmesan, by the way.

1 comment:

  1. will give this a try.... when I get a bottle of marmite!

    ReplyDelete