Monday, November 8, 2010

Species of lasagne

I need to use up food from the freezer. I keep making things and freezing them and not eating them.

Yesterday it was time to use up  this italian beef stew:


I figured it would do instead of ragu Bolognese in a lasagne.

Firstly I made some cheese sauce.

Butter and flour in a pot, cooked until white and fluffy …


… milk added bit by bit …


… and whisked to remove any lumpiness:


Grated cheese added and melted …


… then pepper …


… then I tasted it and added some salt. I always leave the salt until last in cheese sauce, you never know how salty the cheese will make it.


Then the pasta.

I got about 1/2 cup of pasta flour …


… added a bit of salt and an egg …


… and mixed it up in the Kenwood:


I added a little water, …


…  just enough to make it hold together.

Then I kneaded it a fair bit and started passing it through my pasta machine.


There is nowhere really convenient in my kitchen to attach the pasta machine, most of the benchtop edges don't overhang enough. I end up having to pull out the cutlery drawer a wee way and attach it there.

*I passed it through setting "1" …


… and folded it, repeat from *, about a gazillion times (probably more like 20 to be honest) …


… then passed it sequentially through the rest of the settings to setting 7 (of 10).

This is what it looked like after setting 6:


Putting it together.

A dish:


Cheese sauce, then some pasta …


… half the meat …


… about 1/3 of the cheese sauce …


… more pasta …


… the rest of the meat, and the other 2/3 of the cheese sauce …


… some grated cheese …


… then into the oven at 180°C until bubbly all over:


Not bad.

1 comment:

  1. darn! should have to pick up the pasta making machine when I had the chance! darn2

    going shopping soon.

    ReplyDelete