Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thai chicken for lunches

I'm having salads for most of my lunches these days, I keep the ingredients in my little office fridge, but I like to have some sort of meat or an egg to go in as well.

This week I'm having a Thai style chicken.

Chicken thighs …


… into a plastic bag …


… with soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, coriander seeds and dried leaves, chilli flakes, a bit of brown sugar, a lemon grass stalk, and a little water …


… and sealed:


Then into the waterbath at 60°C …


… with the lid on …


… for about three hours:


I drained of the liquid and put it in a pot …


… with some bruised coriander stalks I found in the garden when I was weeding during the three hour cooking period …


… and a couple of smashed garlic cloves (apparently they're give the meat a nasty flavour if cooked in the waterbath) …


… then reduced it down by about half, and strained out the solid bits:


In the mean time, I dusted the cooked chicken thighs with rice flour …


… and quickly fried them to get a crispy coating:


It would have worked a lot better if they'd had skin on, but you work with what you've got.

Four thighs doesn't divide very well into five lunches, so I cut the meat off the bones and stored it in the fridge with the reduced juices poured over:


Now I just need to remember to buy lots of fresh coriander to put in my salads this week. I can't get the stuff to grow at my house, it bolts as soon as it goes in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment