Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Prosciutto Pt 2

My leg of pig had been sitting covered in salt for two and a half weeks at the weekend, so it was time to move on to the next step in its transformation to prosciutto.

It's relatively firm to the touch now, the salt has drawn out a lot of the moisture in it.

Firstly I washed off the salt with water …


… then I washed it in wine. It should have been white wine really, but all I had was red, so red is what I used. A nice Central Otago Pinot Noir, at that.


I left it soaking in the wine for an hour or so, turning it over every now and then.

Next step was to give it something to hang by. The last (and only other ) time I did this I used string, and it broke after about eight months, so this time I'm using wire. And I put a bit more salt around the hole and the knuckle, just to make sure no nasties get in there.


So it's now hanging from a broom handle which is balanced across the top of the spare shower:


When it's dried a bit I'll take it down and beat it with my rolling pin before coating the raw meat bits with salted lard.

2 comments:

  1. WHY? with the beating with rolling pin bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not entirely sure. The recipes I've seen don't say to do that but I read somewhere that some Spanish or Italian people do. To soften it I think, and let everything equilibrate a bit better. I won't hit it very hard though.

    ReplyDelete