Sunday, May 23, 2010

Crackers

Ever since I read Joe Pastry's post on crackers I've been experimenting with them. And with the tools for making them.

This lot have feta and caraway seeds in the mix …


… and I used all of these tools to make them:


On the right there is the roller-cutter that came with my pasta machine. It's good for cutting nice even rows of crackers, but it sticks and drags a bit if the dough is soft, in which case I use the knife on the left. Next to the knife is a pizza docking roller. I bought it specially for crackers, I don't dock pizza. Next to that is my latest tool. It's a tracing wheel, for transferring markings from paper patterns to fabric. It happens to be very good at making perforated lines on crackers so you can easily break them into smaller bits.


Recipe

Feta and caraway crackers


Ingredients
2 cups flour
3 tbsp olive oil
~3 tbsp sourdough starter
1 tsp baking powder
100 g feta
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1/2 tsp salt
water
salt for sprinkling

Method
Mix flour, salt, and baking powder, rub in feta until there are no lumps.
Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Add sufficient water to make a not-soft-but-not-stiff dough. Mix.
Leave to rest for 1/2 hour or so.
Roll out using a pasta machine or rolling pin, to about 1/8 inch thick.
Dock with roller or fork. Sprinkle the tops with ground rock salt, or any other large grained salt.
Cut into squares, put on baking tray and bake at 180°C until lightly browned and dry.
Cool on rack, then store in an air-tight tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment