Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

I'm not in the least religious, but I'm a total traditionalist. I eat Hot Cross buns on Good Friday only, and expect kids to be given Easter eggs only on Easter Sunday. There are a few exceptions to the eggs bit - I do dish out small Easter eggs to people at work and any visiting kids for the whole week before Easter as none of us is there on Easter Sunday, naturally enough.

So one of my Maundy Thursday evening habits is to prepare Hot Cross buns so they can rise overnight and I can bake them first thing in the morning. Normally I'd make a dozen or so, and they would be my entire food intake for Good Friday - I do love them! When you add in the butter that goes on them though, it adds up to quite a few calories. This year I only made three - from my one cup of flour weekly bread allowance. Here they are:


All gone now too. They were breakfast.

And, for the very first time, I made a Simnel Cake. It's a very small Simnel Cake - I have a round cake tin that's only 16 cm (6 1/2 inches) across so I halved the recipe here. The Apostles are closer to full size though. Mmmmmm marzipan.


I'm not quite sure what to do with it! It looks too nice to cut. Perhaps I'll save it for next Saturday when I have my big dinner party - it won't go with the Asian theme, but it'll be nice with the coffee afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment