Friday, May 22, 2009

North Staffordshire oatcakes

I have no idea how authentic tasting my North Staffordshire oatcakes are, never having eaten one in North Staffordshire. I like them though, even though they are sort of … flabby, is probably the best way to describe them. Today I have two of them rolled around some tomato chutney and cheese, and I toasted them in my office panini press prior to eating. Carrots, broccoli, and prawns make up the other tier of my box.


oatcakes (1/2 cup flour and oatmeal mixed) = 250 Cal
cheese = 80 Cal
relish = 20 Cal
prawns = 37 Cal
carrot = 20 Cal
broccoli = 10 Cal

Total = 417 Cal

I'm getting into bad carb-and-cheese habits lately, and putting on weight as a result. I think it may be because of winter; cosy comfort food tends to be carb-rich and fattening.

My friend Craig is coming to visit tomorrow if the weather is suitable, bringing me some trailer-loads of compost for my garden. He and his wife and small son are having lunch with me, so I'm baking a large loaf of bread this week - it is to be hoped the weather doesn't put things off or I'll have to eat the large loaf myself, with further dire consequences to my waist.

Today's shoes are my "pirate boots":


They can be worn with the tops turned down too; very buccaneer-like. As you can see, it is raining outside and my boots got wet on my walk. Hopefully that may help them stretch a bit; they are just a tad narrow in the foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment