Monday, May 11, 2009

Soup

It's become very cold and wintery here. Yesterday's high temperature was around 6˚C - it's hard to believe that it was 27˚C two weeks ago. Last night I made a pot of easy cream of tomato soup, and took some to work today for lunch. I accompanied it with a North Staffordshire oatcake rolled up with a small amount of grated cheese and a little chopped pickled jalapeño inside. I toasted the oatcake in my office panini press, and heated the soup in the tearoom microwave.


tomato soup = ~200 Cal
oatcake = 150 Cal
25 g cheese = 105 Cal

Total = 455 Cal


Cream of Tomato Soup recipe

Ingredients
1 400ml can tomato purée
1 400 ml can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup milk
50 g grated cheese
chopped fresh herbs - parsley, thyme, marjoram, winter savory.

Method
Sauté the onion and garlic in the butter until they are very soft and the butter has separated from them. Add the flour and make a roux. Add the milk and stir until it has thickened, then add the cheese and stir until it's melted. Now add the cans of tomatoes and purée slowly, stirring constantly. Add the herbs and bring to a simmer again. Serve.
Leftovers are even nicer the next day when the flavours of the herbs have melded a bit more.
I calculated the soup to be four 200 Cal servings.

Today I'm wearing my Australian Rossi workboots.


I bought them from the shop in Broome where my son used to buy his uniforms. Actually I bought two pairs, so I should be set for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment