Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Proper bento for a change

Making a colourful, balanced bento in winter (that you will feel like eating) is not easy. I really like warm food at this time of the year, and winter veges are not that bento friendly. However, the Brussels sprouts I had yesterday were quite tasty and I thought the leftovers might be OK cold. I tossed them in a bit of soy sauce and sesame oil to add a bit of non-sprout flavour and actually they're not bad. I also have some cherry tomatoes, tamagoyaki with Korean seasoned seaweed in it, a couple of baked falafels, and some pickled jalapeños. There is a bit of brown rice under the falafels and eggs.


rice = 214 Cal
falafels = 80 Cal
tamagoyaki = 110 Cal
Brussels sprouts = 45 Cal
tomatoes = 18 Cal

Total = 447 Cal

Today's boots were bought in an emergency a few years ago. I'd gone away for a few days in summer and there was a bad cold snap. I was freezing and went out to buy the cheapest warm pair of boots I could find.


These were heavily reduced because they are two different sizes. Both of which are larger than I really take - but that makes them perfect for wearing with thick socks, especially when I have blisters on my heels from yesterday's boots. And they're only one size different, which is hardly noticeable - one foot is further forward in the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment