Sunday, July 26, 2009

More fudge, lunch dregs.

It's a glorious winter weekend here on the Otago Peninsula. Feels like spring, in fact.


I haven't really appreciated it though, as I learned of the suicide of an old friend on Friday afternoon. I've been in a bit of a daze, and have slept a lot. But as my son said, cooking cheers you up for a bit, so I made fudge. When I should have been making things for this week's bentos.


Same old Edmonds Cookbook recipe, but with, instead of the cocoa, from top left: 2 tsp ground ginger added at the beginning and some chopped preserved ginger added at the end; brandy instead of some of the milk and sultanas added at the end; lime oil included, with 1/2 tsp citric acid added at the end; and 1 dessertspoon of instant coffee included and 70 g walnut bits added at the end.

I can't make up my mind which is the nicest. Ginger, I think.

I also made bread. And ate it.


I sort of made up the recipe myself, after reading "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" which arrived from Amazon last week. It's got my sourdough starter and some yeast, and wholemeal flour with the bran sifted out. I made the dough in the bread machine last night, then shaped it and left it to proof overnight in the cold kitchen. I baked it this morning - in my right-hand oven, as the left-hand one has decided not to work. Have to get the electrician in on Monday.

Friday's bento, a bit late. I had the very last bits of lunch material from the fridge.


Bean curry = ~250 Cal
tonkatsu = 140 Cal
sauce = 7 Cal
mayo = 30 Cal
roast kabocha = 15 Cal
tomatoes = 15 Cal
spanakopita cup = 110 Cal

Total = 567 Cal.

No comments:

Post a Comment