Sunday, February 1, 2009

Prep for week 4. Three curries and some veges.

Today I thought I'd make some curry-type things. I had a cauliflower in the fridge that needed to be used, and I love cauliflower with curry, so I decided to modify Maki's Japanese Dry Curry. I replaced the soybeans with a mixture of roughly chopped cauliflower and broccoli.

Capsicums, an onion, a carrot, some garlic, and some ginger went into the food processor…


… were chopped small, then sautéed until soft:


Curry powder, tumeric, and garam marsala were added, and briefly fried.

The cauliflower and broccoli were chopped roughly…


… then added to the rest of the ingredients, along with tomato paste, sultanas, and some water:


The whole thing was then basically boiled dry. By which time the cauliflower and broccoli were cooked but still firm.


This is a bit light on protein (there really isn't any), so I decided to cook some quinoa to have with it instead of rice. If I eat this the way Maki suggests, i.e. mix a little of the curry with the rice (or quinoa in my case) then put some more curry on top, a serving will be around 200 Cal - 150 Cal for a quarter of a cup (raw) of quinoa, and 50 Cal for 100 ml of curry.



The next thing I decide to make was adapted from a recipe for Seafood Steamed Red Curry from Appon's Thai Food Recipes. I was prompted partly by Courtney's request for recipes to make with canned tuna. I had a tin of Thai Red Chili flavoured tuna in the cupboard, and some frozen shrimps, so I mixed them with some red curry paste, an egg, and some coconut cream (just a little bit, made with powdered stuff)…


… layered that over a bit of hastily-steamed-in-the-microwave shredded cabbage in some silicon muffin cups, sprinkled some sliced spring onion over the top, then steamed it (properly, over water in a steamer) until it was set:


Don't know what it tastes like yet, but it works out at a bit less than 100 Cal for each cup.

Then I sautéed the rest of the shrimps with some green curry paste, some lime juice, and a spot of fish sauce in a teaspoon of so of olive oil. That will fill a couple of bento box gaps.


As will the zucchini, mushroom, and garlic stir fry:

No comments:

Post a Comment