Thursday, January 29, 2009

Prep: carrot salad & tabbouleh

Having made all of those falafels at the weekend I've been hanging out for falafel doner kebab (or giros, depending on where you live). Seeing as I'm trying not to eat too much bread, I thought I could make a sort of bento with all of the ingredients except pita. Hence tonight's carrot salad and tabbouleh manufacture.

I made carrot salad from grated carrots, toasted black mustard seed, and lemon juice:


And I decided to make tabbouleh out of whole pearl barley instead of bulghur wheat - I love the flavour and chewiness of barley. I boiled a cup or so of barley for 20 minutes or so, then drained it:


Picked a heap of parsley and mint from the garden…



…chopped it up…


… and mixed it with the cooked barley, some finely sliced spring onions, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and a dollop of olive oil:


I'll add tomatoes before eating; it'll keep better without them mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment