Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Week 1, day 3

Today's lunch is mostly leftovers from last night. Stir-fried veges (asparagus, mushrooms, courgettes, capsicum):


some bulghur pilaf with tomatoes, garlic, onions, and smoked paprika:



and some smoked chicken.
My fluffy one-eyed Timothy cat decided to lie right in the middle of the kitchen floor while I was cooking; trying to look so cute that I wouldn't take him to the vet today:


I used a nice 530 ml two tier Hakoya bento box, and, for extra spill-proofing, wrapped it in a furoshiki I made - this one has merino sheep all over it, with the odd sheepdog.


I love the Hakoya boxes, and luckily we have a Japanese post-grad student whose mother is happy to act as a forwarding agent - they don't ship outside Japan.


I pack my lunch in the evening and keep it in the fridge overnight - no need for mise-en-place that way, and I can sleep in a little longer.


bulghur pilaf (1/6 cup raw bulghur) = ~120 Cal
stir fried veges = ~120 Cal
150 g smoked chicken = 188 Cal

Total = 428 Cal

A bit less than Maki suggests a box this size will hold - probably because I weighted my ingredients heavily towards vegetables.
Today I walked to the further away supermarket (30 mins walking) for my exercise, and was I pleased to get back to my nice cool office! Everyone is melting today; I had to exercise a great deal of self-discipline not to buy an ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment