Saturday, January 17, 2009

Prep for week 2 continued; Potato salad & cooking the beef.

It took a while, but Eddie managed to get every last bit of blood from the meat bag,


leaving me free to make potato salad - beautiful waxy new season's Jersey Bennes, red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, cubed feta,


and aoli. It lasts quite well in the fridge, I'll eat some of it this weekend and if there's any left over it'll be good in a bento


I decided to cook the meat rather than freeze it raw - flash fried the Korean one in a pan brushed with a mixture of olive & sesame oils:


and sprinkled to top with more of the ground sesame seeds. Tasted it and it's yummy.


I cooked the Thai-ish meat more slowly,


until only just done. I squeezed a bit more lime juice over it and put it aside to cool. I'll probably freeze about half of each of the meat dishes.

Then I poached the chicken thighs in a little fish sauce and lime juice ready to go in my glass noodle salad.

I prepare quite a bit of food in the weekends - not just for lunches. By the time I get home from work I can't be bothered making a whole meal, and I live by myself, so if I don't have stuff prepared I end up eating something evil and quick - like licorice allsorts, or bacon and eggs, or sandwiches with loads of butter and jam, or even the most evil Brandy Snap ice cream that has half my daily calorie allowance in one scoop! My freezer is packed with aliquots of different curries and stews that I can defrost, heat, and eat in a matter of a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment